Saturday, August 16, 2008

Iorgov Custom Cue

Last week I had my cherished Lucasi cue with it's Predator shaft, cue case, and my buttons and patches stolen. I've been playing with that cue for the past 3 years and when you have had a great tool that is used religiously, it's tough to not have it. I know I can easily get another cue, but finding a cue that feels the same, hits the same, looks the same, etc...is pretty tough. For those of you that shoot with your favorite cue, you know exactly what I mean and feel.

I have a friend that knew someone that made custom cues. I've never had a custom cue, but was definitely open to looking at the cues. I saw three that I instantly feel in love with. Next, was to hit with them to see how they hit the balls and how they felt when I stroked with them. It came down to two that shot really solid. I ended up choosing the lighter weight of the 2, feels like a 18oz, but it may be 19oz. It's a gorgeous birdseye maple cue with a darker wood on the base. The shaft is a TerminatorShaft3, which is very similar to the Predator shafts, which minimizes cue ball deflection. After shooting with it a bit, I realized what a solid hit, good feel, and minimal deflection it had -- pretty darn close to the feel of the Predator.

I did lose my match on Thursday shooting with the new cue. I don't blame it on the cue, gotta blame it on the player. We all know a good player can shoot with a broomstick! I lost by making mistakes that I had complete control over. I had to win 3 games to my opponents 2 games. I won one game, then shot the 8 out of turn on the 2nd, and then shot the 8 ball in on the 3rd -- while scratching. Gah! So lost my match. Double frakkin' gah!

Overall, I'm thrilled with the new cue and going to look for a great case to protect it. It's going to be my new "baby" and I need to treat it right. Playoffs are in two weeks, so I have a little time to get it broken in...look forward to being the lucky person who gets to play with the Iorgov custom cue. He does great work and if you are interested in a beautiful cue that hits really well, just let me know and I'll give you the contact of the person who can show you the cues.

Good shootin' all.

No comments: