Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ronnie O'Sullivan is simply Amazing

I've always been a sucker for good pool players and prolly always will be. What is even more impressive is a great snooker player.

The game of Snooker is a cue sport that is played on a table that is 12 ft x 6 ft and is played using a cue ball, 15 red balls (value of 1 point each), and 6 different balls with numbers (value of 2 - 7 points). Most people play eachother and choose a set number of frames and whoever has the highest points is the winner.

There are two snooker tables that I know of in Austin. One is at the Warehouse and the other one is at Eric's Billiards. I've enjoyed playing at the Warehouse because there are two guys that I usually see at the table and they are very open about teaching and playing the game with you. Both are strong players and play a pretty mean game.

Snooker is a popular game in Europe and just has never really taken off here in the States. It's bout' time that it does!

The highest score you can get in a game of Snooker is 147. Ronnie O'Sullivan holds the record for shooting a 147 break in 5 minutes and 20 seconds. If you have never seen a snooker game, I've posted a video of his game. It's one of the most amazing videos I've seen in a long time (in a billiards way). I know there a better videos in general about more important things *smiles*.

As you watch this video, he makes it seem like it's an easy game. If you ever get the opportunity to play on a snooker table, it's one the most difficult cue games I've ever played. You'll see why if you step up to that table. Promise. Why is it harder than billiards?

1. Pool balls are 2 1/4", Snooker balls are 2 1/8"
2. Billard tables range from 6ft - 8ft, Snookers range from 10ft - 12ft
3. Billiard tips range from 11mm - 14mm, Snooker tips range from 9mm - 11mm
4. Snooker pockers are much more narrow - poker lead-in curved (there is no forgiveness)

Someone once said, "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." There's many things to do, life is shot, and you need to hustle (make things happen). Rack up those pool balls, and play on.

Thanks Mr. Lincoln.

3 comments:

whall said...

OOoh, I'm going to watch that. I've never watched snooker, really, and I'm quite interested in it.

starryjgal said...

You will love it as you adore billiards. Since you are very good at billiards, I know you'd be strong at Snooker. We should play sometime soon. It will make you realize how "lazy" billiards makes us when shooting balls in pockets.

whall said...

Oh you know what, I think I saw a snooker table at the UT union, downstairs with the bowling alley... Some time way back. I think it was 1991 or something. I was on a bowling league there with a friend, and we stopped in for some pool and I saw this humongous table and thought "wow, who would want to play on _that_?".

Now I know :)