Monday, June 25, 2007

Am I going Crazy? Is there a pill for this?

It's been a crazy week training my new pup, Boomer. I'm not home as much I as would like to really dedicate to him, but somehow he forgives me.

I've never had a puppy, only dogs or cats, so this new puppy phase is a new experience for me and I feel like I'm failing at being a good "mom". I think I have patience, but it seems lately I'm saying "no", "stop", "Boomer!!", and "What's this?!" more than ever.

I'm going to be blunt and honest here. Things that drive me crazy with Boomer!

1. He chews up all my shoes.
2. He's started chewing, chomp chomp, on the bottom of my computer chair (thinks it's a bone I guess)
3. He chases my older dog, Jordan, and always tries to mate with him. Of course, Jordan doesn't like it at all.
4. He whimpers and whines when I crate him, as if I'm hanging him from his toes for a good 3 hours every night until he is exhausted. I have to crate him, or he has many surprises for me in the morning. This could include one or all of the following: Trash can emptied, toilet paper everywhere, pillow stuffings all over the floor, chewing up anything he can find that is not too heavy for him to lift up.
5. Eats and drinks like there is no tomorrow - and well, too much food or water in a puppy = a suprise all over the floor.
6. Jumpin' jumpin' maniac. He loves to play and wants to jump, jump, jump. I want to rest, rest, rest. *smiles*
7. I get about 2 - 3 hour of sleep nightly since he wakes up throughout the night and starts the normal crying. He's either wanting to play, go outside or just wants to wake up! He doesn't know how to eat only his food, he will eat Jordan's and Pumpkins! Oink!

Don't think I'm being a whiner - I do adore this little guy. I'll tell you the things that I adore about him and these definitely outweigh my crazy complaints on Boomer.

1. Love the way he looks up at me and his eyebrows are wrinkled.
2. Love the way he appreciates a small treat - he will sit down and not move until I say "get the treat".
3. Love the way he welcomes me home after a day at work.
4. Love the way he responds to "Boomer"
5. Love the way he lets me rub his cute ears and scratch softly under his neck.
6. Love the way when I get the leash he runs in circles.
7. Love the way he strrrrrrreeeetches when he comes out of his crate (I would do the same).
8. Love the way he loves Jordan and Pumpkin as if he's known them forever.
9. Love that he still doesn't know how to bark.
10. Love the way he finds me giving him a rib bone is the best thing in the world.
11. Love his brown ears and tail w/the white body.
12. Love that gives me the doggy kisses when he thinks I need cheering up.
13. Love the way he tilts his head to the side when I'm speaking to him. He pretends he understands me!

I'm really lucky to have these three guys in my life. Jordan is a complete angel, Boomer is an angel in training, and Pumpkin is the best cat I've ever had. He's definitely and angel.
The best part - all three of these guys came into my world unexpectedly because they had no home and they let me take care of them unconditionally.

Jordan was a good friend of mine, Alinda, and she trusted me to take care of him. Thank you Alinda - he's been an amazing companion. We both miss you...

Pumpkin was found by a client of mine and they were not able to take him since they had two cats of their own. Thank you "J" & "L" for thinking of me when you wanted to find him a home.

Boomer was found by a good friend of mine that I play pool with. She found him at her doorstep and could never find the owners. Thanks for thinking of me and I'm glad you did!

Alright, I better attend to Boomer - he's into something - just heard a crash. *smiles*

3 comments:

whall said...

I don't envy your newfound joy, or the maintenance you must endure to raise him to adult-dog-hood. So I'll do the next best thing and visit and have fun with him, and bring other dogs to play!

(this is how I imagine it's like being a grandparent - you get all the "good" times and you don't have to deal with it 24x7!)

starryjgal said...

That's a deal. You can bring Jup' & your newest addition!

Anonymous said...

I would love to help if I live closer.