Wednesday, October 25, 2006

That it? or Dat it?

I will never eat at the Taco Cabana on Burnet Road again. I was craving chicken fajita tacos, so decided to go out and pick up a couple. I pull up to the speaker and I hear, "You ready?" I say, "Can I please have two chicken fajita tacos with cheese and..." Before I could continue, I hear, "That it?"

I then say, "I would also like a medium diet coke and..." Then I hear the notorious, "That it?" Maybe she said, "dat it?"

Ok, no that is not it. If I was finished I would say, "Thank you and that will be all tonight." I then I wonder if she is going to say anything else besides, "That it?"

So here's my new mission at that moment. I am going to get her to say something else. I figured she can't keep saying that. So I continue to order a small side of queso. Before I could finish, she said, "That it?".

Alright, I have decided that she thinks I am taking up too much of her time. Not sure why - there are no cars ahead of my or behind me...so why the rush to cut me off. Fast food is pretty low in cost, so the obvious thing for restaurants to increase revenue is to upsell. Add a dessert, upsell a large drink, add a side, etc.

But no, I just get the ol' "That it?"

For a brief moment, the devil part of Jennefer came out and wanted to just keep ordering items just to hear the infamous "That it?" Yea, see how many times I could get her to say that. But no, the angel part said, "Don't do that Jen!"

I realize that I don't want to give my money to a company that thinks I'm a burden for them doing their job. I'd rather go somewhere that wants the business and is in the business to do their job. I then say, "Please cancel my order." She then says, "OK!"

I thought about asking for a manager, but I didn't want this to turn into a big ordeal. I was hungry and wanted to find something to eat. Jack in the Box is right next door to Taco Cabana, so I drive a few hundred feet to their drive through.

As I pull up, I hear, "Thank you for choosing Jack in the Box, this is Gerardo, may I please take your order?" Wow, Wow, Wow -- this was music to my ears. I look at the menu and I see a new burger called the Sirloin Burger. I decide to try it because it looks quite tasty from the picture. I order one and Gerardo says, "Would you like the individual burger or the combo?". Just for him asking, I say, "The combo please with a diet coke." He replies, "Great, Is there anything else for tonight?" I reply, "No thank you, that will be all." He proceeds to tell me the total and I drive up. As I pull up to the window, he smiles and tells me the total again. He said, "We are making your fries now, so it will be just a minute." Another great example of customer service. My bad experience of going through a drive through turned into a great experience. I'll definitely go back to that unit.

BTW: The New Sirloin Burger is yummy - gotta try it. It's great!

BTW II: In the future with technology and all, I think it would be grand to be able to pull up to a touch screen interface and just enter the items you want. Maybe even have a login in screen with your password where you could order any of your previous orders. For myself, I usually order the same combo each time I go to a fast food restaurant. It would be cool if I could just get the 'usual'. There would be the optional 'HELP' button if the customer needed assistance. Pull around to the corner and your food is given to you. Bam, done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! You should check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPjhPLrvUKg

starryjgal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
starryjgal said...

O my goodness! *laughing hysterically and it hurts!* I've never seen that movie, but that was just plain funny. Somethings in life are just hilarious and that was one of them. I guess even more so after last night. Thanks for making my day.

Anonymous said...

I can't *stand* the kind of service you mention you got that night at TC. I share your devilish delight at trying to turn the screws on the bad service and make it painfully obvious to them how bad they're being.

The other thing that really steams me are mistakes. And it seems certain places are really really bad at accuracy and some are great. The McDonald's at Pecan Park and 620 in NW Austin is HORRIBLE. The Wendy's at Anderson Mill and 620 is AWESOME. They must hire from the same pool of available people, so it follows that it's either the management, the policies or something about Wendy's corporate system that makes them a lot more accurate.