Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Five Hundred and Twenty Six

526: Yep, that is the record for Willie Mosconi in 1954. He pocketed 526 balls continuously before missing a shot.

Straight Pool - this has become one of my favorite forms of pool. I went up to a local pool hall last night just to shoot some balls around. A player came up to me and asked if I wanted to shoot a game and said it would be my choice of game.

I thought about it for a second and asked if he shot straight pool? He looked at me and said, "don't we all". This was the first time in over 5 months that I had the opportunity to shoot this game. This is one of my favorite forms of pool, "straight pool", in which the player can shoot at any ball he likes. Once 14 (of the 15) ball are made, a new frame begins. To keep a run going, you have to make your shot and attempt to break the balls open with the cue ball breaking up the rack. Most of the skill in straight pool is selecting the order of balls to play, leaving a good break shot, and most importantly playing a safety shot with there is no attractive shot.

He dominated the table. It was pretty discouraging, but as Mosconi once said, "Don't waste time. Only play people that play better than you play."

So, gotta practice gotta practice gotta practice - then maybe I won't always have to be the onlooker. *filed to myself* Get the hunger back Jen!

3 comments:

nf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nf said...

This doesn't have to do with pool, but I thought you would like this.

Read from here till the end of the week.

starryjgal said...

Thanks for the comic strip. It caused me to giggle, and anyone that plays on-line poker
on a regular basis will find this hilarious as well. Sad, but so true.

I've been off the on-line poker scene lately because I have destroyed two monitors,
3 keyboards, and crushed my diet coke cans causing a waterfall of soda everywhere!
Not really, but again I think many can relate. Peeps calling an all in with a 2 outer
and hitting it on the river...why do they do this? KK vs 7/4O and hitting middle pair on
the flop and 7 on the river. Heh, I bet those players are also the ones wearing a hat
and sunglasses at the 3/6 table!

Gotta work on the live game - Enjoy the thrill of the live action. Heh - promise
if I get a bad beat in a live game, I won't attempt to slam a phantom mouse on the
table. *smiles*

Again, thanks for the post and good luck on the tables.

"Life consists not of holding good cards, but in playing those you do hold well."