Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 9: What do you call a fake noodle? An Impasta!

Today was day 9 of the Purification Cleanse.

Today was the first day that I stepped back into a gym in over 2 years.  I now know how out of shape I am.  I did about 10 mins on the elliptical machine and then did a 18 minute walk/run on the treadmill.  Marj went too and she did the elliptical machine for over 30 minutes effortlessly.  Gah - I can't wait until I am able to do that.  Introducing exercise to the cleanse is really important and today was the day to start. The beauty of the gym -- it's only 2 blocks away from the office.

After the gym, we at lunch back at the office.  I had brought the green bean dish and Marj brought a dish that had these noodle-ish-like-ish things tossed with a basil spinach pesto.  I had never had anything like that and she offered to share it. I tried it - and boy, it was so good!  They are called Kelp Noodles and it was my first time trying them (or even hearing of them). It's the perfect item to get your noodle fix. They are about 20 calories per serving and a raw substitute for pasta.  They are an edible seaweed that has lots of nutrients, high in iodine and have over 70 minerals, trace elements, enzymes, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron and 21 amino acids.

After eating dish, it was in my head all day that I wanted to find those noodles.  I asked where I could find those and she said at certain stores -- not an HEB, but more of a natural grocery store.  We discussed Whole Foods or Mr. Natural.  Ah, how perfect -- there is a Mr. Natural on Lamar and I won't have to go to Whole Foods downtown as it was super packed due to the weather and traffic.  On a mission...

Charm wannabe 6:52pm: I head over to Mr. Natural on S. Lamar and walk in anticipated how awesome it will be to get these.  I looked around and saw where you could order food prepared and a few store items.  It was more of a restaurant vs store.  Confused, I called Marj and asked if there was possible another location as this one was more of a restaurant.  She said yes, and I then asked if I might find them at Central Market.  She said that I might, so I hopped back in the car and headed over.

Charm fail 7:21pm: After wandering at Central Market (it's a large store), I gave up and called Marj again.  I'm now blowing up her phone with calls.  I asked what section and she said in the chilled section.  I found noodles, but not Kelp ones.  I then asked a very nice employee, Annie, where I could find the kelp noodles.  She said, "Walk this way.  We do not have kelp noodles, but we have something called NoOodles."  I thanked her as she was super helpful and we chatted a bit.  I grabbed two of them then called Marj as I was checking out to ask if they were okay with the cleanse.  These are made with yam flour, Lime and water.  I have no idea what yam flour is.  To be safe, Marj suggested I stick with kelp noodles since we had never heard of yam flour.

Third time is a charm 8:04pm: I headed over to Whole Foods on William Cannon as Annie said they do have them at that location.  I didn't even know there was a Whole Foods there! As I walked in - I was amazed of how beautiful it was inside and not packed wall to wall with people.  I LOVED it.  I found the kelp noodles! Mission accomplished and they were in my possession.

For dinner, I made a fun dish with the kelp noodles and a homemade sun dried tomato marinara with mushrooms, garlic, onions and broccoli.  Tossed in the noodles and had a delicious, filling meal.  If you have not seen kelp noodles before - here's the low down.

Opened package and the noodles are not really noodles.  They have a stretchy texture and are clear.  Interesting indeed.  There's a few ways I think I could eat them.  Raw out of the bag -- naw, not for me.  Marinated in lemon and tossed in coconut oil for 1 minute. That is for me!  Here is what they look like and here is the finished entree. Side note: Ace and Osaka were really curious about them.  It's the first thing they sniffed out from the grocery bag.

"What do you call a fake noodle?  An Impasta!"

Thanks for reading and here's to a soul full of happiness and health!





No comments: