Monday, October 08, 2012

Day 1 of 21: Where have you been all my life?

Day 1 started out a bit rocky for me and I realized how unprepared I was for this.  I woke up, took my supplements and then prepared my first SP Complete shake. I had not idea what it would taste like -- I'm a big fan of shakes you get at Mighty Fine Burgers, so naturally assumed that it would taste the same.  Boy, was I wrong.

I was wrong for 2 reasons.  1. It is not sweet and thick like the delicious shakes you get that are creamy and topped off with whipped topping and a cherry. 2. I completely messed up preparing the shake.  I got the mixture ready and wanted to toss in diced up peaches.  I blended for about 45 seconds and started to drink.  It was full of awfulness since I put too much flax seed oil and didn't actually blend the peaches - so it was small pieces of peaches in a watery shake.  Drank anyway and I was thinking, "How will I be able to drink 3 - 5 of these a day?!"  It took me 45 minutes to drink it and it tasted horrible.  My cats on the other hand were trying to lick what was left in the blender.

Mistake in the morning, but moving forward to the afternoon (which was the start of a perfect day).  Marj and me went to Whole Foods at lunch and she helped me pick out items to last me a few days.  What she found in 37 minutes would of taken me 2 hours.  She knew where everything was, what was good to eat and what was not "allowed".  She zoomed through that store and knew what she was doing.  I'm not so great in grocery stores, much less with what is good for me and not.

After work, I came home and prepared a light stir fry vegetable plate that was Ah-maz-ing.  It was cooked in coconut oil, which I've never had.  This was a recommendation by Marj. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

For dinner I made kale chips and after they came out of the oven, I said, "Kale Chips, Where have you been all my life?!"  This snack is incredibly fantastic - tasty, good for you and you can eat them like chips.  Made some guacamole with diced tomatoes, onions, garlic and a little lemon juice for dipping.  Total win for dinner.

Now the true test was if I could get down another one of those shakes.  I was dreading the thought, but it's part of the cleanse, so have to do it.  I took Marj's recommendation on using almond milk instead of water and using frozen fruit to help created the shake texture.  I made it with almond milk, strawberries, blueberries and freshly squeezed oranges.  Blended thoroughly and so delicious.  It's my new shake, shake, shake it-love-shake.

I must give my thanks to Marj today *Thank you written 100 times on the chalkboard* - She answered questions I had, helped me shop, gave me tips to get through day one and she's doing it with me.  I'm extremely fortunate to know her and so glad we are doing this together. Day one is over and although it started out rough, it progressively got better and I look forward to day two.

Lessons Learned: 

1. Prepare meals in advance or you will be scrambling.
2. A poorly made shake by Jen is yuck.  I even tossed out the 2nd shake from that batch in a trash can at a gas station.  The cup went with it!
3. Coconut oil rocks. I'm serious.
4. Marj rocks more than coconut oil and kale chips.

"Healthy eating is not just about maintaining a healthy weight – it affects your total state of well-being.  Poor lifestyle habits have been linked to endless numbers of diseases, many of which can be prevented by eating right and exercising."

Thank you for reading and here's to a soul full of happiness and health!

No comments: